From the FIRST Robotics mentor page:
As a Mentor or Coach of a FIRST team, you are, through the kids, the key ingredient in the success of your team. Your contribution to the success of FIRST programs and ultimately to the success of FIRST is immeasurable. The time, responsibility and expertise of a Mentor or Coach will vary but the one constant is that you are bringing something to your team that they need to learn, grow and succeed.
Who are FIRST Mentors and Coaches? Our team members say it best. A Mentor/Coach:
- Can be a person of any age, teaching others what they know
- Brings either technical or non technical expertise to the team
- Provides the opportunity for students to learn directly through experiences
- Begins as a teacher, evolves into a colleague
- Knows that Mentoring and Coaching is about inspiring and guiding
- Provides students the environment to succeed
- Is patient, supportive, enthusiastic, compassionate and available
- Remembers what’s important – it’s about the kids and they come first
# # #
Here at the Bit Buckets we use the word “Mentors” for people who share their engineering skills and knowledge with the students on weekly basis. “Volunteers” share their knowledge and support the team periodically, sometimes outside the meetings.
• August – May – Team meets Sunday afternoons
•January – February 45-day build season — the team meets 6 days a week
•For more information please see the calendar section of the website.
Location: Xerocraft Hackerspace
If you are interested in volunteering or mentoring the Bit Buckets, please let us know by filling out our
Mentor / Volunteer interest form.
If you have questions you can contact Kasia Kiela at: email@example.com